Soaring temperatures can cause your cooling bills to skyrocket. Cooling bills are one of the largest utility bills that households face each year. If you want to save money while keeping cool in your home this summer, it is important for you to be proactive about reducing your energy usage.
Save Money On Your Cooling Bills
These tips will let you lower your cooling bills this summer without causing discomfort when the temperature starts to rise.
- Use fans to circulate the air around your home. While fans do not actually lower the temperature, they do help to draw warm air up while circulating cool air for a more comfortable home. If it is hot enough in your home for you to sweat, pointing a fan at yourself provides cooling by evaporating the sweat.
- Consider turning the temperature up just a little to cut down on the cost of cooling. A temperature that significantly reduces cooling costs without sacrificing your comfort in your home is 78 degrees.
- Check your air filter at least once each month to ensure that dirt is not keeping your air conditioner from running efficiently. Dirt that clogs up your filter places stress on the system that leads to higher cooling bills. While you can clean the air filter to improve efficiency, these filters are inexpensive and easy to replace for the best results.
- If you are thinking about landscaping options outside of your home, consider designing the layout of your lawn with energy efficiency in mind. Shade trees can keep the sun from heating up your home during the day. Homeowners who have an exterior air conditioning unit can boost the efficiency of their system by providing shade for the unit.
- Invest in air conditioning maintenance before the weather warms up each summer. Running a cooling system that has not been properly maintained can be costly. Routine maintenance helps to reduce your utility bills, but there is another benefit to be enjoyed when you opt for a maintenance package. It is less likely for a serviced air conditioner to need expensive repairs.
- Turn your air conditioner up 7-10 degrees if you are going to be away from home for more than a few hours. If you have a programmable thermostat, set your cooling system to increase the indoor air temperature while you are at work. You can even program your system to turn the temperature down long enough before you get home to ensure that your home is comfortable when you arrive.
If you are tired of the high cost of cooling your home, chat with us online now or call 334-298-1278 for help. Our experienced technicians provide high-quality air conditioning installation, repair and maintenance services that will keep your system running more efficiently. A friendly representative at our Phenix City, Alabama-based office can discuss your unique needs to find a solution that will keep you and your family comfortable while reining in your utility costs.